Early morning on a bright day in the early summer of 1957, against a backdrop on Conway Castle and the estuary of the River Conway, Britannia class 4-6-2 No. 70045, soon to be names Lord Rowallan coast into Llandudno Junction station with an express from Holyhead to London. On an adjacent track, Ivatt class 2 2-6-0 No. 46447 departs for Llandudno Town to collect the daily pick-up freight. The Britannia class Pacifics were introduced by British Railways in January 1951. Altogether fifty-five were built, the last appearing in 1954. They had a comparatively short working life, the first being withdrawn in favour of diesel in June 1965. Two examples are preserved, Nos. 70000 Britannia and 70013 Oliver Cromwell.